A Dental Crown is a covering that encases the entire tooth surface, restoring it to its original shape and size. It protects and strengthens the tooth structure when the tooth cannot be restored with fillings or other types of restorations.
There are several types of crowns but porcelain are the most popular. Porcelain crowns are tooth colored and resemble your natural teeth. They are highly durable and will last many years but eventually they may need to be replaced. They are made to match the shape, size, and color of your teeth, giving you a natural, long-lasting beautiful smile.
A crown may be need for several reasons:
- To protect a weak tooth from decay, breaking, or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down.
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left.
- To hold a dental bridge in place.
- To cover misshaped or severely discolored teeth.
- To cover a dental implant.
- To make a cosmetic modification.